In 1818, Amsterdam rentier Everard Cornelis Schröder had the country house built and the park laid out. Later owners extended the office development. The name was taken from the light hill on which the mansion stands. In 1836 the area was expanded by more than 8 hectares. In 1886, a horse stable, a coach house and a coachman’s house were added.
To the right of the house was a scaffolding mill, which was demolished in 1856. After the demolition of the mill in 1856, the new Molenbosch country estate moved to the grounds. The only changes that were made are the shutters on the semi-circular windows on the upper floor. Around 1850 the two sides of the house were given ‘Chinese balconies’.